Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Himmat's Shot




Himmat constantly reminds me that faith and belief are more powerful than logic. Last week at Kings Dominion (an amusement park in VA) we started playing the a carnival styled basketball game. The object of this game was to shoot a ball into a hoop, about foul shot distance, but of course the hoop is probably smaller and tighter than a normal one.
These games are expensive, and the odds are stacked against you in every way. Himmat wanted a basketball and one shot would get you 1 ball. The cost for two attempts was $5, so I told him I'll give it a try. Both of my attempts were close but did not go into the basket. I am not a great shooter but normally I can make at least one of those two attempts, so I was a bit disappointed at myself.
Himmat insisted that we try again, but that he gets to shoot. I told him you can barely make a basket when we are at home without all the pressure, so the better bet is for me to try again. To satisfy my own ego and redeem myself, I bought another 2 shots.
Himmat pleaded that I give him a chance, I ignored it taking my first shot and again missing. With one shot left Himmat became adamant that I allow him to shoot.
"I'll make it Daddy, you already missed so many shots!"
Feeling defeated after missing 3 shots, I figured I just wasted $10 for a basketball when we have multiple ones at home. I handed Himmat the last shot, saying "Alright its on you..."
Those who know Himmat know that he always smiles, he took the ball from me with a big smile on his face, I figured at least for the money we spent he will get a chance to also feel disappointment and maybe a life lesson that these games are rigged.
Still smiling he bounced the ball a few times, and with improper form which his shot always is, he heaved it up. Watching him not even take aim and the way he shoots just chucking the ball in the air with one hand, I fully expected it not to hit anything, not even the backboard.
Nobody else was shooting so the attendant me, Himmat and a few of our relatives were watching. Himmat's shot hit the rim of the basket he was aiming for, but it was a bad shot so no way it was going in, it bounced off that rim towards the basketball hoop next to it, surprisingly his ball was still 'in play' it hit the other rim, again not going in but bouncing up again, only to somehow miraculously go in to the basket he wasn’t even aiming for!
As we cheered, I looked at the attendant who watched the shot, his mouth was wide open as well in shock to how the ball went from one basket to another, and somehow bounced in, for a second he didn’t know what to do was it a win for a prize or not, as we were cheering and Himmat's smile had now turned into a full on celebration
"I told you Daddy, I can make it!....YES...I knew I could do it...."
He picked his prize ball and as we were walking a way, it reminded me that all logic, all strategy is worthless, the only thing you need sometimes is a belief in yourself, and luck on your side. Himmat is proud of his ball, and prouder of the story, how his Dad missed 3 shots, didn't believe he would be able to make it and he proved him wrong.
As he kept saying "I told you daddy, I would make it" I let him enjoy his moment, later I wanted to make sure he knew he was lucky.
"You know you actually didn't make it in the basket you were aiming for" he laughed a reply "Yaaa i know that’s why I don’t make shots at home because there is no basket next to our hoop"
His logic again was not a reply I would expect it was a childlike innocence that I hope never goes away.
That day most of our relatives tired to play that game, all are better shooters than Himmat, but nobody else came home with a winning basketball.
Its times like this that all the headaches and stress of being a parent seem worth it, for the reminders, that if we allow the kid inside of us to live, to believe in possibilities, then through sheer luck and faith, those possibilities have a chance of being reality.
Picture is of Himmat a few minutes later, with his winning Maryland Terps Basketball.

No comments: